About one in four adults suffering from arthritis report experiencing severe joint pain. The most common areas for pain are the knees, shoulders, and hips; however, joint pain can affect joints anywhere in your body, including your ankles, feet, elbows, and hands. Some doctors may recommend injections, oral medicines, or surgery as joint pain remedies, but these solutions can be costly, increase damage to your joints, and in some cases provide only temporary pain relief.
Most importantly: they only treat the symptoms of the problem instead of addressing the root cause. By contrast, nutraceutical supplements aim to provide your body with the specific vitamins, minerals, and other supplements it needs to treat the causes of joint pain at their core.
How Nutraceuticals Are Used for Joint Relief
Nutraceutical products contain natural nutrients that have positive health effects. When dealing with joint pain, taking nutraceuticals can help reduce pain over time and initiate the recovery of healthy cartilage.
Each nutraceutical product comprises a unique formula of different ingredients, which is why it’s important that nutraceutical developers and manufacturers stay up to date on the latest clinical research regarding joint pain.
5 Natural Ingredients Used for Joint Remedies
If you’re interested in taking your health into your own hands, we’ve highlighted the top 5 fundamental ingredients used in nutraceutical joint pain remedies. These ingredients are optimized for better absorption and considered optimal to reduce joint pain and strengthen cartilage.
- Glucosamine Sulfate – Glucosamine is a chemical that naturally occurs in the body. Together, glucosamine and chondroitin, or a combination of the two have been proven to provide pain relief. There is evidence from some studies that glucosamine can help reduce osteoarthritis pain and act as a joint pain remedy when taken continuously over a period of several weeks or months. Depending on the type of joint condition you need to address, it’s important to be aware of the different doses of glucosamine that are available.
- Chondroitin Sulfate – Chondroitin is a complex carbohydrate that has been shown to help cartilage retain water and works well as a joint pain remedy. As a major component of cartilage, chondroitin helps regenerate cartilage in individuals who are dealing with osteoarthritis. It also has a lot in common with glucosamine and been shown to be most effective for those who are dealing with more severe pain. When used for extended periods of time, research shows that taking chondroitin sulfate for up to two years might slow the progression of osteoarthritis.
- Grape Seed Extract – Grape seed extract, often abbreviated as GSE, is a dietary supplement made by removing, and drying the seeds of grapes. Grape seeds are rich in antioxidants, including phenolic acids, anthocyanins, and flavonoids. Grape seed extract acts as a special ingredient for joint pain remedies and has been shown to reduce pain and joint damage, improving collagen levels and reducing cartilage loss. In addition, there are many other positive benefits that this ingredient offers your health. The antioxidants in grape seed extract may help alleviate inflammation and tissue damage that occur alongside chronic diseases.
- Curcumin – Curcumin is a yellow-colored powder ground from the root of the common turmeric plant. Studies have shown that curcumin may work as a joint pain remedy and help reduce swelling in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis better than nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Curcumin may have the potential to address osteoarthritis. In addition to arthritis and joint-related diseases, it has been used for cardiovascular health, oxidative stress, and a host of other conditions.
- Methionine – Methionine is an amino acid and cartilage-forming substance that cannot be produced by the body and must be consumed in the diet. It is found in several food sources including meat, fish, and dairy. It plays an important role in cell functions. Many tests have shown that methionine provides several benefits to individuals who are looking for joint relief. The ingredient contains anti-inflammatory properties, offers pain relief effects, and stimulates cartilage cells to produce more cartilaginous tissue.
- Knowing how each of these ingredients helps support healthy joints is an important first step in determining which joint pain remedies are right for you. Each of these ingredients serves a specific purpose for those who are dealing with joint pain and joint-related diseases. For more information, you can read the underlying research on these ingredients and a list of clinical studies that have been conducted to test their effectiveness.